Thistle Tattoo Meaning
Thistle is an eye-pleasing plant with the purple blooms and the thorny foliage which is reckoned to be the Scottish national emblem. Thistle tattoo is a popular tattoo design, especially, among the Scotsmen, as a means to express their patriotic spirit. However, this tough-natured flower has a myriad of interpretations and meanings associated with it, and this article will help you to explore the most significant ones.
Symbolical Meanings of Thistle Tattoo
- Symbol of self-sacrifice and aid. In tattoo world, it’s believed that the thistle tattoo is applied by the helpful, self-sacrificing people with the fragile soul.
- Symbol of nobility and royalty. These meanings are attached to the thistle because of its purple coloration, while in the ancient Europe, this hue was a hallmark of status, privilege and noble birth. What’s more, some institutions and associations in Scotland used the thistle as their emblem.
- Symbol of protection. It’s believed that the thistle repels the evil spirits, and used as an amulet warding off the evil eye and negative influence.
- Symbol of struggle. The thistle grows in the infertile areas, where the others plants can’t vegetate. Due to this feature, the thistle stands for struggle, overcoming difficulties and chosen by the bold, forceful individuals with the fighting spirit.
- Symbol of depravity and sin. In Christian tradition, this flower conveys malice, sin and its thorns are symbolic of the tortures of Jesus Christ.
- Half sleeve
- Along the spine
- On the Ribs
- Along the Leg
- Upper Back
Thistle Tattoo Design ideas
The thistle depicted in its natural coloration with the purple blossom and the greenish spikes is the most popular tattoo idea. The preferable styles are blackwork, dotwork, watercolor, tribal, linework, abstract and realistic one.
Traditionally, the thistle is combined with the Celtic knot, cross, Scottish flag, bumblebee, the others flowers such as the shamrock, clover, rose and poppy. The inscription carved next to the thistle adds a personal touch to the motif.
40 Amazing Black and White Thistle Tattoos
Thistle tattoo is a popular floral trend among tattoo-fans because of its alluring appearance and a wide range of symbolical interpretations. A hot preference in the tattoo world is the monochrome thistle tat made in blackwork or in black and gray style. If you’ve decided on getting inked thistle tac, then this article will help you to choose the design that suits your personality.
- The cool linework thistle tattoo made in black ink on the arm highlights the tough nature of the owner.
- The emblem-like thistle tattoo inked in black and gray style with the exquisitely-designed leaves is flaunted on the lady’s back. This flower is believed to be a mascot protecting from the negativity and the evil spirits.
- The superb black and gray thistle tattoo embellishes the female’s stomach. The artistic detailing and shading outline every feature of this treacherous plant.
- The delicate blackwork thistle sprig tattoo combined with the seashell fits in on the forearm. This duet looks very exotic and denotes prosperity, well-being and good luck.
- The wonderful bouquet consisting of the thistles and the poppies extends over the male’s quarter sleeve. This ink represents loyalty, power and fortune.
- The gorgeous thistle tattoo intertwined with the tenderly-looking flowers adorns the biceps. The tac is performed in the linework style with the slight smoky shading and has romantic and feminine appeal.
- A pair of the brilliant dotwork thistle flowers tattoo accentuates the dude’s thigh. These two prickly blooms stand for the bravery, struggle and toughness.
- The beautiful highly-detailed thistle tattoo covers the arm. The black- inked stems and foliage present a striking contrast with the deep purple petals.
- The single blackwork thistle flower tattoo with the cursive inscriptions is inked in a memory of the loved family.
- The striking monochrome thistle tat blended with the glorious irises is carved on the hip. Such tandem epitomizes wisdom, nobility and royalty.
- The rad thistle tattoo with the mighty roots extends from the woman’s foot up to the leg. The vicious spins emphasize the severe and fighting character of the bearer, and the purple watercolor flower adds a colorful touch to the overall
- The wonderfully-detailed traditional thistle tattoo decorates the guy’s chest. The red-colored rose adds contrast to the black and gray thistle. The calligraphical lettering inked in Latin is dedicated to the sweetheart.
- The artistically-depicted black and gray bumblebee sitting on the fragile thistle sprig is sported on the male’s biceps. This motif fascinates with its aestheticism.
- The memorial tat consisting of the somber-faced lion portrait and the thistle flower is performed in black and gray technique and imprinted on the forearm.
- The shamrock, flourishing thistle and intricate Celtic knot are blended into the neat gray-shaded tattoo design signifying strength, unity, hope and accepted as a harbinger of good luck.
- The nice gray-colored thistle tattoo entwined with the curved leaves adorns the ribs.
- The fascinating thistle tattoo in dotwork style enframed with the curvy foliage fits in on the arm.
- Three amazing flowers: rose, poppy and thistle make up a beautiful harmonious bouquet on the lady’s quarter sleeve symbolizing beauty, power, hope, love and sacrifice.
- The dope naturally-looking thistle tattoo extends over the male’s side. This enormous prickly flower with the tough nature adds severity and masculinity to the wearer.
- This beguiling linework floral tattoo consisting of the thistle, chrysanthemums, oak leaves and complemented with the tiny bees embellishes the woman’s half sleeve.
- The huge black and gray Celtic Cross decorated with the Celtic knots goes well with the gray-shaded thistle flowers on the dude’s half sleeve and stands for faith, hope, harmony and serves as a talisman.
- The Scottish flag combined with the Scottish national floral symbol- thistle creates an epic quarter sleeve tattoo and reveals the patriotic spirit of the wearer.
- Three fragile linework thistle sprigs mixed with the lovely bird are etched on the back. The bright yellow sun and the colorful petals jazz up the tac.
- The blackwork thistle, hibiscus, cones and the ears of wheat incorporated into the diamond shape make up together an overwhelming floral motif designed in linework style.
- The tender female hand holding the thorny thistle flower depicted in the black and gray technique emphasizes the brave owner’s character, inner strength and willingness to struggle and overcome obstacles.
- This wicked tac comprising of the American flags, wooden cross and spiny thistle engraved on the quarter sleeve is symbolic of friendship, unity and faith.
- The fancy traditional thistle tattoo made in black has an exotic look due to the geometric depiction of the flower.
- The badass tribal thistle tac black extends over the half sleeve. The large ornate curves make the piece more eye-catching.
- The exclusive vintage-looking thistle tattoo with the lettering is imprinted on the arm. The glorious scrolled foliage is an embellishment of this motif.
- The nifty black and gray Scottish crest surrounded with the thistle flowers looks masculine on the man’s back.
- The alluring thistle tattoo with the slightly colored purplish petals, huge thorns and the exquisite black-inked stem decorated with the vines accentuate the beauty of the lady’s side.
- This neat thistle tattoo black blended with the geometric-styled pattern with some shading highlights the muscular lad’s calf.
- The fabulously-portrayed black thistle flowers combined into one huge blossom decorates the forearm.
- The thistle tattoo complemented with the maple leaf fits in on the leg and symbolizes regeneration, change, hope and struggle.
- The black and white thistle tattoo with the subtle fluffy petals on the ankle stands for bravery and loyalty in the ancient Celtic culture.
- The well-highlighted whiskers-like blooms is a schtick of this incredibly beautiful thistle tat made in white and gray technique on the lad’s forearm.
- The dark-shaded thistle tattoo with the lush foliage and the amethyst-colored blooms covers up the arm.
- This linear black thistle tat mixed with the gorgeous ornamental sword and the dainty butterfly is flaunted on the guy’s chest and represents freedom, force, protection and bravery.
- Two blackwork long-stemmed thistles accompanied with the tender iris on the male’s forearm signify nobility, wisdom, trust and passion.
- The abstract black-colored thistle tat with the mauve-hued strokes has a chaotic and elegant appearance on the lady’s ankle.
30 Best Thistle Tattoo Designs on Wrist
Would you like to have aesthetic and exotic tattoo design with the deep symbolism? Then you need to get tattooed the fascinating thistle flower which combines all these features. This gorgeous bloom can be inked on the various parts of your body, but the thistle carved on the wrist looks especially amazing and catchy, just read our article and pick up one for you.
- The fabulous linework thistle flower with the spreaded foliage on the wrist is inked in black color with the subtle shading and highlights the owner’s fighting spirit.
- The magnificent colorful thistle tattoo on the wrist with the letterings is inscribed in a memory of the loved person.
- The fascinating watercolor thistle tattoo wrist with the dark-green leaves and the amethyst-colored petals accentuates the vulnerable and fragile nature of the wearer.
- The brilliant thistle bloom tattoo on the wrist accompanied with the bold black infinity sign and complemented with the exquisite grayish-shaded curves in the background for more aestheticism.
- The awesome black thistle tattoo performed in the linework style covers the wrist and the hand. Due to the skillful detail work, the flower looks realistic and impressive.
- This vibrant thistle tattoo on the wrist with the colorful petals and the black-inked inscription is a way to express your patriotism and love to Scotland.
- The exclusively-done thistle tattoo infused into the heart shape and combined with the beautiful scarlet rose extends over the lady’s wrist and forearm. The dark-hued lacy background makes the piece more feminine and exquisite.
- The cool monochrome thistle tat wriggling along the female’s wrist is symbolic of the ambition, aspiration, struggle and hope.
- The amazing tube-shaped thistle flower tattoo with the purple petals designed in the traditional style is made in the mum’s honor.
- The baby-pink and the reddish-ñolored thistle blooms with the fresh-green foliage look appealing and splashy. In some cultures, the thistle is associated with the nobility, authority, privilege and force.
- The dinky colorful dotts and curvy strokes artistically convey the beauty and elegance of the thistle flower tattoo carved on the wrist.
- The striking watercolor-styled thistle tattoo stands out on the girl’s arm due to the wonderful gradient color and the gentle wavy petals.
- The delicate naturally-colored thistle flower complemented with the calligraphical black inscription emphasizes the tender lady’s wrist.
- The dope abstract-styled thistle tattoo portrayed in the dark tones with the cool color transition points out on the bold and determined character of the owner.
- The lovely traditional thistle tattoo blended with the daffodil on the wrist made as a memento of the parents.
- The vivid thistle tattoo with the airy mauve-colored petals goes well with the petite bee on the wrist.
- The brightly-colored thistle tattoo with the spins and the massive stem decorates the wrist and wards off the evil eyes and negative energy.
- The cute Neo-traditional thistle tat with the well-defined deep purple petals and the elegant bow will melt the girlish hearts.
- The traditional thorny thistle tattoo intertwined with the wonderful red rose and complemented with the wavy deep blue lines for colorful accent.
- This adorable thistle tat with the black and gray stem perfectly contrasts with the purple petals. Such design done as a reminder of the sweetheart.
- The epic thistle sprig tattoo is displayed in the black linework style on the female’s wrist. The black cursive inscription below the flower personalizes the motif.
- The sweet-looking thistle tat on the girlish wrist infused into three highlighting the piece triangles signals about the bearer’s sensitivity and good nature.
- The black and gray technique outlines the severity of these two neat neo-traditional thistles, and the bold purple color brings the contrast into a motif and lives it up.
- If you are the ardent patriot of Scotland, then this beguiling thistle flower tattoo design with the lettering “Scotland” covering the wrist and hand is for you.
- The appealing thistle wrapped around with the ribbon is depicted in the bold contrasting tones. The artful detail-oriented work and the tiny tendrils make the flower look lifelike.
- The alone-portrayed neo-traditional thistle bloom tat sitting on the wrist fascinates with its coloration and detailing.
- The rad black and gray thistles go well with the roses carved next to them and add masculinity to the male’s wrist and forearm.
- Here is one more variant of the patriotic Scottish tattoo design consisting of the thistles on the sides and the Scottish flag in the center.
- The superb alone-portrayed thistle tattoo performed in blackwork and dotwork styles has an impressive look.
- The eye-pleasing watercolor thistle tac is accompanied with the cute butterfly with the Scottish flag pattern and the name of the bestie.