Lily is a flower, which in its beauty and significance can be compared with the symbol of the East – a lotus.
For diverse nations this flower has its own meaning, thus, the Germans believed that elves live in lilies, for the Greeks the lily was a symbol of the goddesses Hera, for the Egyptians it meant fertility, for the French the lily was the permanent symbol of the royal power. The Romans regarded the lily as the symbol of hope and this flower was even depicted on Roman coins.
The main significance of the lily is innocence, purity, nobility and pride. Moreover, in Christianity lily means holiness and humility.
Due to a very symbolic meaning and the beauty of the flower, a lot of people choose it as the main pattern for a tattoo.
These tattoos are placed on arms, shoulders, shoulder blades, hips, the abdomen, and ankles. The meaning of the tattoo depends not on the place of the application, but on the color of the flower.
- A white lily symbolizes purity of thoughts and beliefs, tenderness and chastity;
- A black lily indicates passion and fervid beauty, in some cultures it is the sign of sorrow and sadness;
- A yellow lily is the symbol of pride;
- A pink flower denotes sensuality and youth;
- An orange lily says about eccentricity.
Several flowers on the stalk mean immortality. Lilies, combined with the weapon, signify guilt. If lilies are displayed together with a cross or with faces of saints, it means dignity, sanctity, and purity of thoughts. If the lily is wrapped with barbed wire, it shows that the person is a multifaceted personality.
Thus, the world of lily tattoos is very diverse and interesting, this tattoo has a special meaning and there is no doubt that a carefully selected pattern and a beautiful rendition will be the best decoration of the body.
Water Lily Tattoos
A water lily is often compared with a lotus because both these flowers grow in remote spaces and symbolize the resistance of the spirit, vitality and a sense of purpose. For women water lily tattoos also indicate tenderness and innocence. The most common places of an application for tattoos are the upper arm, shoulder, back, abdomen, ankles, and hips.
- In Byzantium water lilies were the symbol of prosperity and the royal power. Nowadays it means not only the material prosperity but also a rich inner world. The bright water lily tattoo on the hip says about a multifaceted personality.
- Water lily tattoos are typical for European culture and they don’t have a sacral meaning like a lotus in Eastern culture. The pattern below adorns the forearm and vivid colors of the flower symbolize life itself and the beauty of the outer world.
- Water lilies are enclosed in a pearl heart, which is very symbolic. Pearl denotes beauty, as well as the water lily. They are placed on the lower arm and show a conceited owner.
- A water lily grows on water so it is natural to combine this pattern with fishes. A fusion of the flower with a fish on the forearm is displayed in gray, blue and orange tones and it expresses wealth and love for life.
- A mystical name of a water lily is mermaid’s rose, as mermaids attracted men with their beauty. The water lily tattoo is observed on the ribs, it signifies youth, beauty, and spiritual contentment.
- A water lily on the ankle is displayed in a purple color on the blue background. Purple is the color of nobility and this flower connotes a noble soul and respect for the outer world.
- The water lily on the lower arm has an unusual combination of red, pink and black colors. The image resonates with Buddhist beliefs; here the water lily is the person, who has achieved enlightenment as he has risen from murky water, which is displayed as a dark background here.
- There is an example of a classical water lily tattoo on the side of the body. The blue color expresses purity and long black roots say about a strong connection of a person with his past.
- Oftentimes water lilies, depicted with turtles, obtain a mystical meaning. Originally, a water lily is the embodiment of the beauty of life, but when it is incorporated with the turtle, then it means the incarnation of a human’s soul in a deity. The tattoo on the forearm below reveals this idea.
- A truly amazing water lily tattoo covers the foot. The mixture of black, red, yellow and orange colors creates an amazing effect! The depiction of two water lilies is not a coincidence; it means that there is no future without the past.
- The tattoo on the hip represents the union of two flowers: a water lily and a rose. They have much in common because both signify beauty and passion, a water lily except beauty indicates a contemplative attitude to the world.
- In this tattoo on the hip the Buddhist idea of the understanding the world is disclosed. A water lily blooms and rises high above the whirlpool, which symbolizes the secular world. The tattoo shows the communion of a human to spirituality.
- The water lily tattoo covers the half sleeve and it represents old-school traditions. Dark water lilies make a completed composition and speak about person’s respect to the past.
- A swirl of blue and purple water lilies embellishes the lower leg. In this case, the water lily has an identical with a lotus meaning, the whole pattern expresses elegance and the beauty of love.
- The tattoo reveals the Hindi tradition and it is located on the back. This tradition presupposes the application of tattoos during magical rituals, and before the wedding, in the center, a water lily is located, which indicates magic love.
- Water lilies are combined with a butterfly, two parts of the same pattern are made in the identical color spectrum. The butterfly adds femininity to the tattoo, however, it does not overload the whole picture with the excessive sentimentality. The overall design on the back spells out the concept of free and spontaneous love.
- Here is a piece of an amazing water lily tattoo on the back. The flower in the center symbolizes life, its beauty, and fullness, small water lilies, which surround the main flower, can be a symbol of the individual stages in life or happy moments.
- The huge water lily tattoo covers the sleeve. Ancient Egyptians often portrayed water lilies on a dark background in honor of the gods, who were luminaries for them. The tattoo below expresses this very idea.
- There is no doubt that water lilies tattoos occupy their own special place among floral designs. The blue water lily on the forearm means purity and innocence of love.
- Three water lilies on the back resemble the painting by Claude Monet “Water Lilies”. This expressionism denotes a bright personality and water lilies show a great devotion to a beloved person.
- It is known worldwide that a water lily grows both in pure and dark water, which speaks about its exclusive endurance. The tattoo on the shoulder blade depicts a water lily that blooms above water and the underwater bottom with shells and a fish. It can be a symbol of two sides of the human soul, the one side a person shows to the world, and the other side remains a secret.
- A water lily on the hip is iridescent; each separate color expresses its emotion: joy, delight, happiness, excitement, tenderness, and affection. The inscription probably suggests the date of birth and the name.
- The tattoo on the thigh represents the heart, which is torn by flowers. In this pattern Japanese motives are traced as the person may observe Sakura flowers. The significance is that love can grow even in the broken heart.
- A beautiful water lily tattoo adorns the wrist. The pattern looks very tender on a fragile hand and carries its standard meaning – a beautiful life, filled with happiness and love.
- A triangle tattoo was the first pattern, applied by the ancient people, and it meant the unity of three components: the body, mind, and soul. This tattoo on the tummy represents a water lily, enclosed in a triangle, the design indicates the triple unity in a human life, which is headed by love.
- A pink water lily, combined with Indian motives, is depicted on the neck. The tattoo expresses worship and love for the supreme deity.
- Water lilies grow in the marsh area, so sometimes they are portrayed with frogs, in addition, the frog is revered in many cultures on a par with the water lily. The meaning of this tattoo consists of significances of two components: the water lily, which means love and frogs, which indicate rebirth and longevity. Thus, the meaning of the design on the sleeve is a revival of love.
- A purple water lily tattoo is an excellent decoration of a girl’s thigh. Stalks surround the flower from all sides, which can speak about close family ties and their importance for a person.
- The fully opened water lily without roots is on the back. The pattern denotes that the person is free from the ties with the past and has started a new life.
- For many nations, a water lily means not only beauty and love, but also it marks the beginning of a new life. The water lily tattoo on the lower arm below speaks out the idea that people live, limited in actions by chains, and nobody knows when he finds a key and will get rid of these chains.
Calla Lily Tattoo
All nations have put diverse meanings in calla lily tattoos, it depends on a history of this flower and mysterious signs. However, all agree that in most cases, calla lily tattoos mean femininity, love, passion, and sexuality.
- In many cultures the meaning of the calla lily is dual, in one culture it is accepted to decorate wedding bouquets with calla lilies and in the other culture, mourning wreaths consist of calla lilies. However, the calla lily tattoo on the side below carries the signification of youth and sexuality.
- Calla lily tattoos on hands have a ritual meaning as in old times only priestesses wore these patterns. Nowadays the meaning has changed and in the tattoo on the lower arm below the calla lily emphasizes the importance of a romantic relationship with a person.
- In ancient Egypt calla lilies meant reverence, admiration, and beauty. Colorful calla lilies on the lower arm convey love and passion, tattoo line boundaries are not clearly defined, which means that sometimes these feelings are spontaneous.
- Here is a purple calla lily tattoo. The color and a number of flowers have a symbolic meaning. A purple color is a color of mourning in some cultures, two flowers denote two departed souls and the inscription “Fate will find a way” expresses faith in the afterlife.
- It is believed that two connected calla lilies, concluded in a circle, represent a strong family unit and in this case, the flower color does not matter. The tattoo on the lower leg below illustrates a man and a woman and their strong relationship.
- Calla lilies in blue, white and purple tones on the shoulder blade reflect a happy life. Nevertheless, lines of flowers are blurred, which indicates the absence of clear plans for the future.
- Coloristic argues that the blue color always has a positive connotation. In the tattoo below blue calla lilies spread over the side and the thigh. They signify steadiness and constancy, not only in love but in life.
- Tattoos have become a perfect representation of the personality and they can say much about the person, who wears them. An awe-inspiring calla lily tattoo, combined with a bee and a butterfly is on a woman’s breast. The total significance of the tattoo is made up of the meaning of each component so that this pattern expresses the hard work and freedom both in work and in love.
- A stunning calla lily tattoo covers the ankle and the part of the foot. A waterfall of ribbons begins at the base of flowers, it means family ties. Calla lily is made in dark tones, which indicates sadness and sorrow.
- In ancient times, if the calla lily tattoo consisted of several opposing colors, this meant a very difficult period in life. Here a vivid tattoo adorns the sleeve, a white calla connotes the first pure love, a pink flower indicates that this love was strong and black accents show the tragic end of this love story.
- At all times, orange calla lilies symbolized energy, enthusiasm, and optimism. This tattoo on the lower arm stirs interest and expresses an eccentric nature of a person.
- A volumetric rose on the forearm conveys the idea of ancient Egyptians, who believed that a red calla lily is the sign of fertility. The tattoo itself is eye-catching and looks a rich spectrum of colors says that this person is very creative.
- A bright blue calla lily on the shoulder is merged with bright green stems. In this case, the flower means a wealth of the inner world, decency and a positive outlook on life.
- An orange color is a symbol of the strong spirit, this color is carried by creative people with an extraordinary thinking. The orange calla lily tattoo on the back is illustrated here. It spells out the idea of a person with unlimited creative potential and grandiose plans for the future.
- For a person, a wrist is a very vulnerable place, because there are vital veins, so the tattoo here is very symbolic. There is a black and white calla lily, which honors the memory of departed loved ones.
- An amazing calla lily tattoo is on the side. Purple flowers are grouped in a bouquet by a blue ribbon. There is no doubt that it is a symbol of a strong family, which is connected by ties of kinship.
- An absolutely gorgeous calla lily sleeve tattoo recalls the times of ancient Greece when people applied the tattoo in order to express reverence to the goddess Hera. In this case, the tattoo indicates devotion and love for relatives.
- A sought-after calla lily tattoo is located on the ankle. A startling feature is the color of the flower – fuchsia color has always meant power and nobility, in Rome it was worn only by aristocrats. Here the flower is fully opened which means that a person is powerful and always achieves goals.
- Thighs for women are extremely popular places for tattoos since they can be shown to others as well as hidden away under the clothes. Red calla lilies on the hip below express sensuality and open, sometimes even aggressive sexuality.
- This pattern refers to the old-school traditions and here a white calla lily with a gravestone is depicted on the lower leg. A traditional positive meaning of a white calla lily – tenderness and purity combines with a clear meaning of the grave – death, so the overall picture symbolizes the demise of a pure and innocent soul, probably a child.
- Two calla lilies with a hummingbird on the forearm are observed here. The bird means cheerfulness and love for life, whereas a calla lily is the sign of chastity. So, the person, who wears this tattoo, has a cheerful personality and a naïve soul.
- A gloomy calla lily is on a woman’s shoulder. Almost all people believe that black and red calla lilies denote a symbol of the loss or the collapse of hopes. Here the flower looks like a handful of ashes, and the notes indicate that the person failed to fulfill a dream and probably, this dream has been connected with a musical career.
- Colorful tattoos have always adorned the female body. Legs are special places for the pattern as people believe that in feet the vital force is contained. A glowing calla lily tattoo on the foot expresses success in love and in life, and the ladybug is a talisman and a symbol of good luck.
- Here calla lilies are displayed together with Virgin Mary’s face on the lower arm and it has a religious meaning. The tattoo itself represents dignity, sanctity, and purity of thoughts.
- A traditional meaning of black calla lilies is death, grief, sorrow, and sadness. The tattoo on the forearm reveals this sense and the initials symbolize three departed loved ones, each flower is a single person.
- These white calla lilies on the shoulder blade were made in order to preserve the memories of the loved one, as evidenced by the inscription below the image. The color of flowers indicates that the deceased person was noble, kind and sincere.
- A whirlpool of calla lilies extends from the chest to the hip. Despite the dark and complex pattern, calla lilies mean youth, freedom, and love. Each flower is a symbol of beauty and passion.
- Red and orange colors are included in the group of warm shades, they denote fire and are associated with warmth, openness, and optimism. The calla lily tattoo on the side draws attention and indicates boundless optimism and love.
- This calla lily tattoo on the forearm is a masterpiece, which has a very deep meaning. Many nations mark calla lilies as the beginning of a happy life, and others evaluate this flower as the end of life. In this case, colored calla lilies are depicted on a sunset background, which implies the end of one phase of life and the beginning of another.
- A calla lily tattoo with a white ribbon on the ankle has been made to perpetuate the memory of a close relative. White color represents the immortality of the soul.